Schizophrenia affects approximately 0.32 percent of the people in the world. While it can be improved when treated early but it can be hard to detect early. It is due to the fact that its symptoms are easily dismissed as unruly or rowdy behavior and the result of drug or alcohol use. In most cases, people are unaware that they are suffering from a mental illness.
Check out the following article for an in-depth explanation of schizophrenia treatment including its signs and symptoms, as well as causes.
What is Schizophrenia?
Schizophrenia is a persistent mental disorder that is characterized by the abnormal perception of and reactions to reality. It can be characterized by the combination of two or more signs that include hallucinations, delusions disorganization, social isolation and hallucinations.
The reason for this condition is not known at this time. However, scientists believe it is caused by the combination of psychological, genetic and environmental influences.
Certain factors can increase the risk of schizophrenia among people. These are:
- The family history of schizophrenia
- The complications of childbirth or pregnancy such as malnutrition and infection.
- The use of mind-altering substances
- Stress levels that are too high or a toxic emotional conditions.This is a major issue for adolescents and children.
The symptoms of individuals vary dependent on their nature, age and severity of their illness. However, some signs can be observed in the majority of cases and can be classified in negative as well as adverse symptoms.
Positive symptoms are the ones which are in addition to their normal behavior. A few of them are:
Types of Schizophrenia
This mental illness has many symptoms. For a complete schizophrenia treatment it is recommended to follow you must follow DSM-IV (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual for Mental Disorders) classified the disorder in five general categories.
Schizophrenia is not curable. As a cure, doctors focus on controlling and decreasing symptoms. This includes schizophrenia medication and vocational and emotional therapy.
- Certain schizophrenia medicines comprise the following:
- Antipsychotic medications reduce and control hallucinations and delusions.They are more effective in the case of paranoid schizophrenia.
- Benzodiazepines enhance physical and mental alertness and are particularly efficient in the case of catatonic schizophrenia.
- Sometimes, medicines also include mood stabilizers and antidepressants
Contact the best psychiatrist for schizophrenia treatment in Indore.