Everyone experiences sadness at times. However, depression is more than that. Depression is prolonged, intense melancholy or sorrow. It obstructs regular tasks and may possibly result in discomfort physically. Happily, depression is quite easily treated.
Although depression has varied effects on different people, the majority of them exhibit a combination of the following symptoms:
- Prolonged sadness or feelings of emptiness.
- Feelings of helplessness or hopelessness.
- Feelings of guilt or worthlessness.
- Anger and irritability.
- Difficulty concentrating.
- Changes in sleep patterns.
- Appetite changes.
- Chronic pain, headaches, or stomach aches.
- Loss of interest in activities.
- Withdrawal from friends and family.
- Thoughts of death or suicide.
A number of genetic, biochemical, psychological, social, and environmental factors contribute to depression. People with major chronic diseases like cancer or heart disease as well as those with a family history of depression are more likely to experience depression. A depressive episode can also be brought on by significant life events, trauma, and stress, however some depressive episodes start off with no apparent external trigger.
If you or a loved one is struggling with depression, contact the Dr. Pawan Rathi, for information on support and depression treatment in Indore.